Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Interview with LGBTQ Activist Nathanael Rey

Nathanael Rey was the 2010 Grand Marshal of the Hudson Valley Pride March and Festival. Recently discharged from the US Military under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, he has been thrown into the Capital District spotlight as an activist of sorts.


Amanda Stevens: As a gay man, what made you want to join the military knowing about the "Don't ask, don't tell" bill?
Nathanael Rey: Necessity. My life was going nowhere, and wanted to be able to do something with it, and be able to give back to my community and serve my country.

A.S: And so, you turned to the military out of need to do something. For our readers, could you please go into your understanding of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" bill.
N.I understood that in the military, you were not allowed to be openly gay. I knew that if I came out I could/would be kicked out of the military.

A.S: Now, while you were still part of the the armed forces, you were still openly gay on your blog. Were you ever worried about this getting out and causing you to be discharged?
N.R: When I first started writing my blog, I was careful to write in gender neutral terms. However, as time went on, I did become more careless, because I didn't think anyone really read what I wrote.

A.S: Could you tell me about your discharge process? Sort of the why and how it was all carried out.
N.R: Well, I had been reassigned to Al Asad airbase at the time, and my commander ordered me back. I didn't know why, but I did a little bit of digging, and that was when I found out the blog had been discovered. When I got back to Baghdad, I was served with a memo letting me know that I was being recommended for a discharge. From there I went to my lawyers...

A.S: Unless you can't due to legal constraints, can you share with us how the process of it being over turned is going?
N.R: Well, right now, the House of Representatives and the Senate Armed Services Committee have both passed measures that would repeal the law. The senate will vote on it this summer, and if its passed, a repeal would be implemented.

A.S: Meaning you'd be reinstated to the military?
N.R: I wouldn't be "reinstated" per say, as I've already been separated. I would, however, be eligible for reenlistment.

A.S:Recently you were selected to be the Grand Marshall of the Hudson Valley Pride March. Can you tell me how that all came about?
N.R: Well, my brother works for Mid Hudson News. He told his editor about the story, who then interviewed me via phone in Iraq. From there, the story blew up. The Hudson Valley LGBTQ Center in Kingston, NY heard about the story, and I was contacted by Ginny Apuzzo, the President at the time. (she's very involved in politics, and worked for the White House under President Clinton). Anyway, she contacted me and they told me they wanted to honor me with the Courage Award at their annual Gala, for fighting my discharge, and then the Board of Director's at the Center decided to make me Grand Marshal of the Hudson Valley Pride March and Festival.

A.S: So, would you call yourself and LGBTQ activist or are you just opinionated? Do you see a difference between the two?
N.R: There is a very fine line between someone who is an activist and someone who is just very opinionated. There's having an opinion and then doing something about it. I've been classified by OTHERS as an activist, but I just think I'm fighting for what's right, and trying to have a difference in the world. I believe that would make me an activist.

A.S: Humbleness is a great quality to have. I've come to realize that your blog has a decent following. How did you come about starting a blog and why do you think its followed so greatly?
N.R: LoL. Humbleness is a lesson I keep having to learn. I don't really pay attention (anymore) to people who are reading my block. I just speak the truth on my blog, and I think a lot of people can relate to me, because I've been through so many different experiences. Anyway, it's not THAT big. Plus my blog is what started this whole mess with the army, so It's gotten a decent amount of press from that situation, Lol.

A.S: Now that you do have a medium amount of media spotlight, what's next? Are there plans to rejoin the military if "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is revoked or do you have grander plans?
N.R: Who knows? haha. Well, for now, I'm just working, and I would love to reach out to others in my situation. I'm developing an idea for an organization that would reach out to Service Members affected by don't ask don't tell, at least until it's repealed. The main purpose would be to provide a community through peer counseling, help with job placement, and housing, etc. It would also further awareness about the issue, and help fight for the repeal of DADT. After DADT is repealed, it would be expanded to reach out to Openly Gay service members who are currently in the service. That being said, I would love to reenlist if DADT is repealed.

For more from Nathanael Rey, got to his blog This is How it Feels; a Survivor's Guide

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Amanda!! <3

Sara said...

Love me some Natty and so pleased he got to talk about his journey as an activist!

Hipstercrite said...

Nathanael rocks! One of my fave bloggers. I admire his courage and strength. Thanks for sharing his story!

Jayme said...

Great questions for a great blogger :)